Of late, cancers are becoming quite common and the liver cancer is the 8th most common cancer in the world. The liver is an important internal organ in your body that performs the detoxification of your body. If your liver breaks down then the digestion of your fat, filtering of your blood for the removal of drugs, waste and toxins cannot be done. When a liver is damaged all these important functions cannot be performed and to the worst, it results in death. When a liver cancer occurs the liver cells multiply at abnormal rates and attack healthy parts of the liver as well as other neighboring cells. It starts spreading beyond their original location and establishes new tumors. This process is known as metastasis. When you go for the Liver Cancer Treatment, this can be controlled. Lets’ see about the treatment.
Treatment of a Liver cancer depends upon various factors such as patient’s overall health, the extent of damage of liver due to cancer or other conditions like hepatitis or cirrhosis. It should also be checked whether cancer has spread to the other parts of the body. In a liver cancer treatment, there are many programs such as radiation therapy, interventional radiology, and targeted treatments. You might also be treated for immunotherapy. When you get in touch with the Best Cancer Doctor in India, he will plan your treatment according to your body conditions. The liver cancer treatment cannot be generalized and it depends on each individual’s condition. Let’s see about some of the common treatment for liver cancer:
- Interventional radiology is performed by the physician to diagnose a variety of diseases including liver cancer. Interventional radiologists are trained to use image-guided technology such as X-rays, CT Scans and MRI to place a catheter inside the body and treat patients non-surgically. This is an alternative to open surgery and it reduces risk, pain and recovery time for the patients.
- Chemotherapy for liver cancer is done before the surgery to destroy cancer cells and Post-surgery, it is used to target cancer cells that are left behind or as a systematic treatment to treat locally advanced or metastatic liver cancer.
- Radiation therapy for liver cancer uses targeted energy similar to an X-ray to destroy cancer cells, shrink tumors and/or relieve symptoms. Radiation therapy delivery systems are quite helpful in targeting the difficult to reach tumors in the liver. Normally, radiation oncologists might direct higher radiation doses at liver cancer cells and will reduce the exposure to normal as well as healthy cells.
- Targeted therapy drugs seek out specific receptors and proteins unique to cancer cells. These drugs might either help in killing the cells or helping other therapies such as chemotherapy, identify and target cancer cells.
- Apart from the above, Gastroenterology procedures are also recommended to treat the liver cancer which includes Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), Stent placements and Balloon dilation for obstruction.
- Immunotherapy drugs called checkpoint inhibitors to work by blocking receptor proteins that help regulate the immune response. Signals exchanged with these receptors may allow cancer cells to hide from the immune system.
However, there are no specific symptoms of liver cancer. Some of the signs to check out for are a pain in the right upper quadrant of your body and the sudden weight loss. Hence, it is ideal to take preventive measures and liver cleansing periodically. It is also ideal to reduce the intake of foods that are hard to digest, toxic and drugs. All these might help you to a great extent.